Last modified on September 11, 2023 at 5:56 pm
This guide shows you how to create a login application on LinkedIn that allows students to log in to DigitalChalk with their LinkedIn account.
Create a LinkedIn Application
- Go to http://developer.linkedin.com
- Click on the My Apps link in the top right corner. You may be asked to login with your normal LinkedIn account.
- The My Applications page is shown.
- Click the Create Application button.
- The Create a New Application page is shown.
- Select your company from the Company drop down list. If your company name isn’t on the list, select New Company, and enter your company name in the Company Name field.
- Enter an Application Name. The Application Name is displayed on the page the students see when they first log in to DigitalChalk using LinkedIn.
- Enter a description for your application in the Application Description field. The description is displayed on the page the students see when they first log in to DigitalChalk using LinkedIn.
- Upload your company logo in the Application Logo field. The logo must have the same height and width (that is, square). Your logo will be displayed to students when they log in to DigitalChalk using LinkedIn.
- Select Other from the Application Use drop-down list.
- Enter the URL of your primary web site (not your DigitalChalk website) in the Website URL field. The Website URL field is displayed as a link on the page the students see when they first log in to DigitalChalk using LinkedIn.
- Enter a contact email in the Business Email field.
- Enter a phone number in the Business Phone field.
- Click the Submit button.
- The Authentication Settings for your new app are shown.
- Note the Client ID and Client Secret values shown in the Authentication Keys section. You will need these later when you configure the connection to DigitalChalk.
- Verify that r_basicprofile and r_emailaddress options are checked in the Default Application Permissions section. Other options should be unchecked.
- In the OAuth 2.0 section, enter “https://[your virtual host].digitalchalk.com/dc/signin/linkedin” in the Authorized Redirect URLs field, then click the Add button. Be sure to replace “your virtual host” with your DigitalChalk virtual host name. For example: https://wayne.digitalchalk.com/dc/signing/linkedin.
- Click on the Update button. This completes the setup on the LinkedIn site.
Configuring DigitalChalk to Use Your LinkedIn Application
In DigitalChalk, do the following:
- Click the Administration tab, then click My Organization from the System Management list.
- The Edit Organization Details page is displayed with a task list.
- Select Login/SSO from the task list.
- The Login Settings page is displayed.
- The button under Form Login should say Activated. If not, click the Activate button under the Form Login section. Form Login is activated by default.
- Click on the Configure link under the Form Login section
- The Form and Social Login page is displayed.
- Click the Configure link under the LinkedIn section. (Note: If you have previously configured LinkedIn, the link will say “Settings” instead.)
- Enter the App ID from the LinkedIn Authentication Settings page for the Application ID, the App Secret from the LinkedIn Authentication Settings page for Application Secret.
- For descriptions of other settings shown here, see Configuring Social Sites for Your Organization.
- Click the Save button when you finish entering information for your LinkedIn application.
- The Form and Social Login page is displayed again.
- Click the activation toggle in the LinkedIn section of the Form and Social Login page. This enables students to use your new LinkedIn application to log in to DigitalChalk
How Your DigitalChalk LinkedIn Login Looks to a Student
When students first log in to your DigitalChalk site with LinkedIn, they must approve the application through LinkedIn. The page shown here is a sample of what students see the first time they log into DigitalChalk from LinkedIn. The red boxes show how your settings are displayed on the LinkedIn approval page.