Last modified on January 23, 2015 at 4:17 pm
This guide shows you how to create a login application on Google that allows students to log in to DigitalChalk with their Google account.
Create a Google Application
- Go to http://code.google.com/apis/console and log in with your normal Google account.
- The Google Developers Console page is displayed.
- Click the Create Project button.
- The New Project page is displayed.
- Enter a Project Name. This should be a name that students will recognize, such as your company name, since it is displayed on the page students see when they first log in to DigitalChalk using Google.
- The value in the Project ID field is created by Google. You do not need to change it.
- Check the I have read and agree to all Terms of Service for the Google Cloud Platform products checkbox.
- Click the Create button.
- The Project Dashboard for your new application is displayed. This may take a minute or two.
- Click APIs & Auth from the task list on the left, then, click APIs from the expanded list.
- The APIs page is displayed.
- Make sure that Google+ API is turned ON. If it is OFF, click the OFF button to turn it on.
- Make sure that all other APIs are turned OFF.
- Click Consent screen from the expanded APIs & auth list.
- The Consent screen page is displayed.
- Choose an Email Address from the drop down list. Google will use this email to communicate any issues with this application.
- Enter a Product Name. The Product Name is displayed on the page the students see when they first log in to DigitalChalk using Google.
- The following fields are optional, but if you enter information in any of these fields, it is displayed on the page the students see when they first log in to DigitalChalk using Google.
- Enter the URL of your primary website (not your DigitalChalk website) in the Homepage URL field. The website is displayed as a link on the page the students see when they first log in to DigitalChalk using Google.
- Enter the URL to your company logo in the Product Logo field.
- Click the Save button.
- Click Credentials from the expanded APIs and auth list.
- The Credentials page is displayed.
- Click Create new Client ID in the OAuth section.
- The Create Client ID page is displayed.
- Click the Web Application button for Application Type.
- Replace [myvirtualhost] with your DigitalChalk virtual host (for example, https://wayne.digitalchalk.com).
- Enter the following URL for Authorized Redirect URIS: https://[myvirtualhost].digitalchalk.com/dc/signin/google
- Replace [myvirtualhost] with your DigitalChalk virtual host (for example, https://wayne.digitalchalk.com/dc/signin/google).
- Click the Create Client ID button.
- The Credentials page is displayed again, with your Google client ID.
Configuring DigitalChalk to Use Your Google Application
In DigitalChalk, do the following:
- Click the Administration tab, then click My Organization from the System Management list.
- The Edit Organization Details page is displayed with a task list.
- Select Social Apps from the task list.
- The Social Applications page is displayed.
- Click on the Google logo.
- The Edit Social Application for Google page is displayed.
- Enter the Client ID and the Client Secret from the Google Credentials page. Leave Project Namespace blank.
- Select Yes for “Would you like to active this social app for login?”. (For descriptions of other settings shown here, see Configuring Social Sites for Your Organization.)
- Click the Save button when you finish entering information for your Google application.
How Your DigitalChalk Google Login Looks to a Student
When students first log in to your DigitalChalk site with Google, they must approve the application through Google. The page shown here is a sample of what students see the first time they log into DigitalChalk from Google. The red boxes show how your settings are displayed on the Google approval page.