Last modified on January 23, 2015 at 4:19 pm
This guide shows you how to create a login application on LinkedIn that allows students to log in to DigitalChalk with their LinkedIn account.
Create a LinkedIn Application
- Go to http://developer.linkedin.com and log in with your normal LinkedIn account.
- The LinkedIn Developer page is displayed. Your name is displayed showing that you are logged in.
- Click on your name and choose API Keys from the drop down list.
- The LinkedIn Developer Dashboard is displayed.
- Click Add New Application.
- The Add New Application page is displayed.
- Select your company from the Company drop down list. If your company name isn’t on the list, select New Company, and enter your company name in the Company Name field.
- Enter an Application Name. The Application Name is displayed on the page the students see when they first log in to DigitalChalk using LinkedIn.
- Enter a description for your application in the Description field. The description is displayed on the page the students see when they first log in to DigitalChalk using LinkedIn.
- Enter the URL of your primary web site (not your DigitalChalk website) in the Website URL field. The Website URL field is displayed as a link on the page the students see when they first log in to DigitalChalk using LinkedIn.
- Select Other from the Application Use drop-down list.
- Select Development from the Live Status drop-down list.
- Enter a contact email in the Developer Contact Email field.
- Enter a phone number in the Phone field.
- In the OAuth User Agreement section, check r_basicprofile and r_emailaddress for Default Scope, and enter the following URL for OAuth 2.0 Redirect URLs: https://[myvirtualhost].digitalchalk.com/dc/signin/linkedin
- Replace [myvirtualhost] with your DigitalChalk virtual host (for example, https://wayne.digitalchalk.com/dc/signin/linkedin)
- Enter the URL to your company logo in the App Logo Secure URL field. The logo URL must be HTTPS secure. Entering a URL for your company logo is optional, but it is displayed on the page the students see when they first log in to DigitalChalk using LinkedIn.
- Click the Add Application button.
- A page is displayed telling you your application was added to LinkedIn.
- Click the Done button.
- The LinkedIn Developer Dashboard is displayed again. The application you added is displayed on the List of Applications.
- Click on the name of your new application.
- The Edit Application page is displayed.
Configuring DigitalChalk to Use Your LinkedIn Application
In DigitalChalk, do the following:
- Click the Administration tab, then click My Organization from the System Management list.
- The Edit Organization Details page is displayed with a task list.
- Select Social Apps from the task list.
- The Social Applications page is displayed.
- Click on the LinkedIn logo.
- The Edit Social Application page for LinkedIn is displayed.
- Enter the Consumer Key and Consumer Secret from the LinkedIn Edit Application page.
- Select Yes for “Would you like to activate this social app for login?”. (For descriptions of other settings shown here, see Configuring Social Sites for Your Organization.)
- Click the Save button when you finish entering information for your LinkedIn application.
How Your DigitalChalk LinkedIn Login Looks to a Student
When students first log in to your DigitalChalk site with LinkedIn, they must approve the application through LinkedIn. The page shown here is a sample of what students see the first time they log into DigitalChalk from LinkedIn. The red boxes show how your settings are displayed on the LinkedIn approval page.