Last modified on May 3, 2016 at 7:28 pm
This guide shows you how to create a login application on Facebook that allows students to log in to DigitalChalk with their Facebook account.
Create a Facebook Application
- Go to developers.facebook.com and log in with your normal Facebook login on the Developers page.
- Click Apps, then click Add a New App from the drop-down menu.
- The Add a New App page is displayed. Click WWW (Website).
- The Quick Start for Website page is displayed.
- Enter a name for your new application. The application name should be something your students will recognize, such as your company name, since it is displayed on the page students see when they first log in to DigitalChalk using Facebook.
- Click the Create New Facebook App ID button.
- Select Apps for Pages for Category, then click the Create App ID button.
- Click the Skip Quick Start button.
- The Dashboard page for your new application is displayed. If the application Dashboard is not displayed, select it from the Apps drop-down menu.
- Click the Settings tab.
- The Basic Settings page is displayed. The App ID and App Secret fields are filled in for you. Enter any name you want for Namespace.
- Scroll down to Icons.
- Click on the App Icon symbol.
- Upload your company logo here. This logo is displayed when students log in to your application with Facebook.
- Click the Save Changes button.
- Click on the Add Product link in the sidebar.
- Press the Get Started button next to the Facebook Login product.
- In the Client OAuth Settings section, make sure that Client OAuth Login and Web OAuth Login are set to Yes, and all the other security settings are set to No.
- Enter the following in the Valid OAuth redirect URIs field: https://[myvirtualhost].digitalchalk.com/dc/signin/facebook
- Replace [myvirtualhost] with your DigitalChalk virtual host (for example, https://wayne.digitalchalk.com/dc/signin/facebook)
- Click the Save Changes button at the bottom of the page.
Configuring DigitalChalk to Use Your Facebook Application
In DigitalChalk, do the following:
- Click the Administration tab, then click My Organization from the System Management list.
- The Edit Organization Details page is displayed with a task list.
- Select Social Apps from the task list.
- The Social Applications page is displayed.
- Click on the Facebook logo.
- The Edit Social Application page for Facebook is displayed.
- Enter the App ID from the Facebook Basic settings for the Application ID, the App Secret from the Facebook Basic settings for Application Secret, and the Namespace from the Facebook settings for Application Namespace.
- Select Yes for “Would you like to activate this social app for login?”. (For descriptions of other settings shown here, see Configuring Social Sites for Your Organization.)
- Click the Save button when you finish entering information for your Facebook application.
How Your DigitalChalk Facebook Login Looks To a Student
When students first log in to your DigitalChalk site with Facebook, they must approve the application through Facebook. The page shown here is a sample of what students see the first time they log into DigitalChalk from Facebook. The red boxes show how your settings are displayed on the Facebook approval page.